Oh the Pain - The Pain - The Pain - Natural Remedies that Work!!

There is no worse pain than having pain from a compressed disc.  I thought I experienced awful pain when I broke the cartilage in my knee, but no, this is the worse.  There was nothing that worked.  I went 5 days with no sleep too.

I searched and searched the web looking for answers.  My doctor suggested Moriphine was the only answer.  Disc problems are both costly and painful and normal routine is to be hospitalized and stretched or operated on. With no insurance, I only had one option and that was to try to make it through the night.

Day after day I suffered.  I am not talking a little suffering, I am talking suffering so bad, that death seemed better.  I tried multiple things I saw on the web trying to treat my pain the best way I could and nothing worked totally and then there was the edema.  Had major edema too.

Here is what works

My sister suffers from Fibromyalgia and the symptoms are very similar.  I went to Tony Isaacs page on Fibro and got some very important tips that worked for me.  The main answer was apple juice.  

Funny how something so simple works.  Take a minimum of 2 glasses of apple juice daily.  Also take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water 15 minutes before breakfast.  The malic acid works together with the pain meds to help you relax and feel better.

Turmeric and Ginger

The mistake I was making initially is listening to so many websites brag about turmeric. So I stayed on turmeric constantly or every 2 to 4 hours.  If I did not have slight pains, I had kidney pains.  What I learned is the best protocol is to take ginger first and then 3 to 4 hours later take the turmeric mixed with ground black pepper (20%).    This combination and the apple juice was almost perfect.

Supplements

New research out is that vitamin c, e and Nigella sativa worked to reduce pain in Fibro patients and so I gave it a try.  I took 1000mg of vitamin c and 400mg of Vitamin E.  I took 1 teaspoon of black seed oil with 1 teaspoon of honey before breakfast and before sleep also.  If I had excess edema which happens due to the injury then I took another mixture during the time it was needed.

I also took:

Omega 3-6-9 from Puritan
Hyaluronic Acid from Now
Magnesium
Glucosamine Chrondroitin
Red Grape Seeds
Propolis

I switched from local (baradee) honey to Yemeni honey and found that helped the most.  If you cannot find Yemeni honey, then Manukah is your 2nd best choice.

Recovery is Slow

Be careful about massages as those can be very damaging.  I learned the hard way.  The best massage oil is black cumin and olive oil mixed.  Mix half and half of each.

I started to notice less pain and then some days did not have to take any pain herbs for hours.  I always watched my pain levels, never letting them get too bad.  Always treat the pain at the lower level.  After you get the ginger and turmeric built up in your body, you will see they treat the pain easier.

Edema

With injuries you may suffer from edema, I did.  I had major edema problems.  I was prescribed a prescription diuretic as in the beginning had pitting edema.  As I tried to walk my injury put more pressure on the disc and developed more edema in my upper thigh and stomach.    I drank parsley tea for this and also the Nigella Sativa is good for inflammation.


Drink diuretic teas. These teas act as diuretics, increasing the amount of urine you produce and thus removing excess fluids from your body. Be wary of plant allergies and consult your doctor or pharmacist about interactions between these teas and any other medication you are taking. Drink 3-4 cups of tea every day, adding honey, stevia or lemon to taste.
  • Dandelion leaf tea: Be sure to get dandelion leaf tea, not dandelion root tea, which is also available but won’t help edema.
  • Cardamom tea: Make your own by adding 1 tsp of seeds or dried herb to 1 cup of hot water.  Crack open the pods before cooking with them.
  • Chamomile tea: This tea can also help you relax and sleep.
  • Chicory tea: This can be a good substitute for coffee.
  • Fennel tea: Make your own by adding 1 tsp of fennel seeds or leaves to a cup of water. Fennel also aids digestion and freshens the breath.
  • Parsley tea: This tea is diuretic and helps with digestion.  You can also use dried parsley
  • Stinging nettle tea: This tea is a diuretic and offers vitamins and minerals as well.
If you have major edema, like I do, diuretics are all you have.   I have heard acupuncture helps.  Eat small meals, drink lots of water, drop the caffeine and eat healthy with no sugar or white flours.

Being well is a day to day goal.  You cannot repair a compressed nerve, sciatica over nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.