Hareeseh with Gizhah (Nigella Sativa)
- 4 cups seminola
- 1 cup ground black cumin seeds (heated)
- 1 cup sesame seeds (heated)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup walnuts
- Water as needed
- Place the black cumin in a dry skillet and heat slowly, stirring often until the tart taste is bland. Grind the seeds when cool in a coffee grinder.
- Place the sesame seeds in a dry skillet and toast slightly or use toasted sesame seeds.
- In a large bowl mix together the seminola, flour, sugar, baking powder, walnuts and the seeds. Add in the oil and mix well.
- Slowly add in enough water to make a cake like batter (batter will be thick).
- Grease a large baking tray to spread the halawa mixture on. With a sharp knife make a diamond design on top of the cake mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for around 30 minutes or until done. Remove from the oven when done to cool slightly.
- Pour the atter mixture (below) all over the cake and allow to soak in. Cut and serve
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange blossom water
- Place the water, sugar and lemon juice in a heavy bottom pan. Heat the mixture on a medium heat and bring to boil slightly.
- Allow to thicken slightly and then add in the orange blossom water. Heat again.
- Remove from the stove to cool slightly and then pour on the cake and allow to soak in.
Courtesy of Raeda, my neighbor.