I was getting ready to make my granola and low and behold a thought came to me. I remembered that I had some black seed and honey in the cabinet that was very thick. Black seed tends to swell after you mix it with the honey and this last batch I put way too much black seeds in this very expensive raw honey.
So bells and chimes went off in my head and sure enough, I created a new recipe to share with you guys. It is healthy and delicious and it takes just a bit of time to create. Why pay for expensive granola in the store when you can make fresh right in your kitchen.
This recipe will show you have to mix the black seed and honey together for this recipe alone. I always suggest you have a jar of blackseed honey in your cabinet to take daily. It is very delicious.
- 1/2 kilo oatmeal (500 grams)
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil or substitute (do not use extra virgin olive oil as it becomes toxic at 320 degrees)
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup black seeds, ground and preheated (black seeds need to be heated to take out the tart taste which will irritate your stomach)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts ( I used almonds, walnuts, pistashios and some coconut for flavor)
- Put all of this is a large baking pan and stir together. Make sure each grain of oatmeal is wet with the liquids and if needed add in a bit of water.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Stir the granola a few times and watch carefully to see if it doesn't burn.
- The granola needs to be crunchy, so cook longer if necessary.
After the granola is done, remove from the oven to cool in the open air for several hours. You then want to put it in a tightly closed container and store in your cabinet. Do not put it in the refrigerator. Walah, you have made your self a very healthy treat.
Note: You can add some diced dates, dried almonds or cranberries for more flavor.