Coconut and Soda Toothpaste
I like to keep things simple with all herbal products, especially when it will be used every day. Using naturally occurring ingredients, you can make your own oral health products again and again; adjusting it to your own taste.
You will need the following to make your own toothpaste:
- 2 tbsp of Coconut oil (antifungal and antiseptic, solid at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp of Bicarbonate of Soda (gently abrasive and deodorising)
- 10-15 drops of Peppermint essential oil (you could also use clove, cinnamon, lemon, fennel or myrrh)
- 1 pinch of Liquorice root, powdered
- 1 pinch of Himalayan rock salt or sea salt
- 1 glass bowl
- 1 glass storage jar
- 1 steel teaspoon
1. Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the sea salt and Liquorice root in the glass bowl.
2. Add the Solid coconut oil to the dried ingredients and mix well into a stiff paste.
3. Add the essential oils of choice, drop by drop, until mixed in well.
4. Spoon the paste into a clean sterile glass jar and store at room temperature.
Your herbal toothpaste can be used 2-3 times daily and should keep at room temperature for at least 12 months. You can also add powdered thyme or sage for extra antiseptic power, fine oak bark powder for strengthening the teeth; and plantain powder for any gum infections.